Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Musicians Have Changed...

A few years ago, I was asked to gather together a group of people to form a choir for a church presentation. As a fairly new person in the neighborhood, I went about the daunting task- asking members of the local congregation if they would be willing to sing in this production. I approached one gentleman in his 50's. He sings bass very well and I was hoping to recruit him for the task. He said, "I've lived in this area for almost 30 years. We've tried putting together choirs. You're never going to be able to do it." I was a bit disheartened, but stuck to the charge at hand. I approached nearly everyone in that congregation, regardless of singing talent. There were others, though not as vocal as the first person, who also felt that my recruitments were attempts in futility. Well, I gathered together a small choir of sixteen. We struggled some and had some difficulties along the way. They weren't perfect, but those who charged me with the task declared success after viewing the performance. The gentleman who had earlier dismissed my attempts even approached me, pleased at what he had witnessed.
As I have been made more aware of the goings on in Ogden in recent years, I have come across many who have been here much longer than I have been on this earth. Much like my neighbor, they look at some of the new ideas being brought out and say, "We've tried this already." Others say, "Well, such and such didn't work, why should this work?" I would be dishonest if I didn't say that these comments dishearten me somewhat. I am reminded, however of my experience with the choir. True, there have been similar attempts made. But there are new people making new attempts with new ideas.
That is part of the (forgive my reference to Disney) "Circle of Life". Life requires new blood to come in and attempt new things- or at least attempt the old things with a new vigilance. As in ages past, the seasoned will remind the rookies that it has been done before. And as in ages past, the unexperienced will give passing acknowledgement that the veterans are there. Despite the frustration from both points of view, the world keeps moving, time marches on, and hopefully, a mutual respect is retained.
Musicians continually change, but the tune remains the same. Find a good spot on the grass, because the concert of life shows no signs of a finale.

11 Comments:

Blogger RudiZink said...

Ahem!

I'm gonna suggest that you exploit your native literary talent a little more, and focus on Ogden issues a little less.

I sense a compassionate and artistic person living right inside of you, and I'd like to see a little more of this from you.

Your last was by far the best you've posted to date.

I offer my sincere compliments, and I say this as a "friend."

Forget the political crap. You obviously know nothing about the subject, which is very arcane and complicated.

Howout you carve out a local artistic "niche, wherein you can ramble on and exploit your obvious artistic and literary talents.

Just a thought

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree with Rudizink. I once read a treatis on the quest for the melding of form and function.

It examined subjects like the a native american tomahawk, and explained that regardless the fact that the implements purpose was inflicting death and destruction, the owners could not resist the desire to add "form", beauty to it by carving patterns and images on the handles and adding a feather here or there.

I think it would do no harm to add a little beauty to the more functional nature of politics.

There is an elegance in the way you tied the lesson learned from forming a choir in spite of opposition and naysaying, to the improvement of our city. I like what you are doing, and you are getting better at it.

Perhaps if you continue on, the subject of "political crap", will be rendered less "crappy", and perhaps even less arcane.

It is a beautiful thought that "out of small things," great improvements to our city can blossom. Keep fencing. Not every stroke at the roots of dispair needs be weilded with a machete.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely disagree with Rudi. Since Rudi thinks he should suggest something to everyone I am going to suggest something to him shut the hell up.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rudi stick to your own blog of negativity and severe old man farting syndrome.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He nailed it didn't he " I am sick to death of the plethora of souls who want only to whine and complain."

"It has been said that OGDEN is wasted on people who live here."


That was definately dedicated to those scoundrals at WCForum.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Lancer said...

President, I appreciate your views and comments in my defense. But as with UTmorMAN, please show respect when disagreeing with those who differ in views (particularly in refraining from profanity and namecalling). Do that, and you're always more than welcome here!!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Lancer said...

Rudi- I appreciate your commentary. I tend to agree more with Socrates on this one (obviously). If your reasoning for me "not knowing a thing about politics" is because I choose to sling no mud, then you're right, I choose not to be affiliated with the slop that some call politics.
If it is merely because I disagree with the "everyone in politics is corrupt to the core" attitude that tends to prevail in certain circles, then I would suggest that perhaps you are the one who is a bit deficient in political knowledge.
I do not mean that as an attack, merely as an observation that, while I do agree that some politicians are malintended, I do not think that the world (particularly the city of Ogden) is rife with them. I sincerely believe that there are those, even with views radically different than mine, who honestly believe in the cause that they are supporting. If they are honsestly thinking of helping (dare I say it) "the greater good", they are doing their constituents a favor... I just had an idea for a future blog.. I'll continue this discussion there.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do agree with some of your views however you two seem to come across as holier than thou, and that is really annoying. If hell and Fart is profanity then you need a reality check bro. I suggest if your going to do something don't do it half assed. You once said on here there are too many things to write about what a lame assed excuse. As much as I think Rudi is a turkey, we need a blog like his that addresses the same issues with vigor just the other side. When someone tries to back you up don't give them this holier than thou shit! For it is a bigger sin than the so called profanity.Hell bro.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't come on your blog again, until you get off your ass.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Lancer said...

President, sorry if it sounded as though I was accusing you of posting profanity earlier. I was just referring to other posts of yours I'd seen. The point I was making is that you have some very rational points. The problem is that many have a tendancy to tune someone out the moment they begin to spout anything even remotely resembling profanity. In other words- it's not the specific choice of words, it's the way they are used. Thanks anyway.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definately know how to get under peoples skin, and it works, maybe not in blogland though. Your articles are good. Good job.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home