Tuesday, July 26, 2005

...And So They Came

I hope all of you had an opportunity to participate in some way in Ogden's Pioneer Days festivites during the past week. I took advantage of both the rodeo and the Pioneer Day Parade. I was not disappointed. The rodeo I took my family to was on Saturday. The grandstands were at near capacity and the overall feeling there was one of mutual friendship and enjoyment. All there seemed to enjoy themselves. I have a son who is one and a half. He would occasionally wriggle out of my arms and saunter over to those sitting near us. They smiled at him, and one gal even slid over so he could sit next to her for a minute. I was a bit disappointed that the rodeo wasn't a tad bit longer, but other than that, I thoroughly loved it.
On Monday, we set up blankets and a makeshift canopy and relaxed while watching the parade. This was also a treat. Those around us were gracious and kind, offering water for our dog (we'd brought some for her anyway) and tools and assistance to jury-rig my canopy which was falling apart even as I set it up.
I have never been to a parade where I was surrounded by more patriotic people. I usually only stand for the opening color guard- not out of disrespect, but just because I had been raised that it was only necessary to stand at the first. The folks around us felt differently. They reminded all within their party to show respect to all colorguards throughout the parade. They weren't rude to anyone who didn't, but most of us around the area did.
As for the Mayor and the council members... I expected to hear some boos and heckling- not a negative word was spoken. I liked this display of respect which showed that, even if people disagreed with his philosophies, they were still repsectful to him as a city leader and as a family man (as he had his family riding with him). Ditto with the city council.
What did I gain from the festivities this week? I live in Ogden, and this weekend, I was truly HOME.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, brother. GOD Bless Ogden!

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home