Thursday, August 04, 2005

Optimistic about Ogden's helping professions

A few months ago, I attended the groundbreaking for the Treehouse Children's Museum. As I waited with my family for the festivities to begin, I looked at my surroundings and tried to picture what that four block area will hopefully look like five years from now.
As I looked toward the southeast, something caught my attention. There, rising above the trees a block east of Washington Blvd. was a grey and brown building. In beautifully striking letters were the words Weber-Morgan Health Department (or something of that nature). I was amazed at how nice the building looks. I had passed it before in its construction phase, but had not seen it completed from that angle.
We have a marvelous core of helping professions in this city and the new Health Department is just a small portion of that. To the north of that building is Your Community Connection- a shelter for abused women. I've learned that YCC does more than just help abused women- offering parenting classes as well as support groups for youth. The Adult Education for Ogden City Schools is also housed there.
Across the street from YCC is the future site of Midtown Health Clinic. Recently, trees have been removed from the properties and the abandoned homes there should be coming down shortly.
On 26th and Lincoln, we also have the Weber Human Services building. There is a lot of supportive counseling and prevention work that goes on at that building. I could go on and on about the other helping professions that are much smaller (Red Cross, Children's Justice Center, Children's Aid, etc.) and might post another day about some of them. The point is that Ogdenites have shown in times past that they care for their own. Some might be quick to judge someone for the choices they might have made in their past, but in the end, we often do lend a helping hand.
If you haven't had a chance to, make a donation to one of these fine institutions (or any others in our community). I am acquainted with many who work in the helping professions. They don't do it for the money, they do it to help PEOPLE. They can always use that "Thank you" from the community for looking out for their own.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Lancer. It speaks well of our society, that so much money and effort goes toward "lifting the hands that hang down". For all that is bad, there is certainly a lot of good.

Enjoy your insites, keep up the good work.

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant insights.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home