Monday, August 08, 2005

Buy In Ogden

It's been quite a few days since I last posted. The problem that this brings up is that there are so many things to post about, it almost becomes overwhelming. Nearly so much so that I almost want to throw my hands in the air and bag it all.
This is not to be the case, however. One thing that has been mulling around in my grey matter was a challenge issued last week on the "WCForum" by fellow blogger, "Socrates". Though his comments have been dismissed as mere "pie in the sky" pipe dreams, and in some cases, completely ignored, I have been giving it some serious thought. I can't help but ask myself the question, "What if...?" So that, gentle reader, is the question I pose to you.
What if we decided to shop for essentials only in Ogden? What if instead of going to the "evil" (GASP) Wal-Mart or Target, we shopped at Shop-Ko? What if we spent a few cents more for gas and actually fueled up at an Ogden convenience store rather than Costco or Sam's Club? What if we "damned the torpedos" and only got our hardware at Home Depot or Ace (in Wangsgards) and our office supplies at Office Max? Or our groceries at Smith's, Harmon's, Alberton's, Stop & Shop, or Wangsgards? What if we purchased pizza at Ogden Pizzeria or (as much as it pains me sometimes) Pizza Runner? (Editor's Note: I've loved the Runner, but sometimes I just can't stomach their "contrarian" views).
I understand that there are extenuating circumstances when one simply can't find certain items within the city limits, but if we each worked a little harder, shopped a little smarter, and encouraged our neighbors to do the same, what could happen?
What if?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your support Lancer. I have taken the pledge, and regardless the success or failure, regardless the support of non-support, I will buy only in Ogden, because I feel it is the best way to support Ogden City and Ogden's Merchants and businesses. As you said, "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead."

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home