Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Feeling Italian

As part of a "series" I started a few posts back, I have decided to take another opportunity to spotlight one of Ogden's great restaurants. Lately, there have been popular Italian restaurant chains advertising on the radio and television to come and experience their cuisine. One even uses the slogan, "When you're here, you're family." No statement was ever more true for a locally owned Italian restaurant, La Ferrovia.
Located on 25th Street (right next door to "Everwood City Hall"), La Ferrovia has got to be, in my opinion, one of the greatest Italian restaurants in the land. A few years ago while my wife and I were eating at the restaurant, we had the opportunity to ask the owner a little about what got her started. Originally from Naples, she moved with her family to the Utah. She enjoyed cooking and felt it natural to open a restaurant. La Ferrovia began in the Union Station, but moved to 25th Street some years later (the name of the restaurant has reference to the railroad, though at the moment I can't remember the exact translation of the word). I have yet to see a time when she doesn't make the rounds to see how all of her customers are doing on the nights that she is working. It truly makes you feel special to know that the owner is looking out for your satisfaction.
The cusine at the restaurant is fabulous. One of the signature items on the menu is the house italian dressing. Made from carrots, it is a delicious addition to any salad. In my opinion, perhaps the best item on the menu are the calzones. You can order them stuffed with spinach, various meats, and occasionally, seafood. Each calzone is a golden brown covered with the house marinara sauce and completely covering your plate. At a price of just more than eight dollars, you definitely get your money's worth. Dessert choices cover the typical fare, including supmoni, a delicious ice cream made locally by Farr's.
If you're in the mood for italian, check out La Ferrovia. You may just walk away wishing you could be adopted.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took my wife, daughter from Connecticut, and her two children to La Ferrovia for lunch on Saturday, and everything was just as you reported. I was delighted with the Calzone, and the shredded carrot, oil and vinegar dressing on my salad. The service was excellent and the food tasty.

I also sampled my wife’s pizza and my daughter's Tortellini, and they were both good as well.

My grandchildren had grilled cheese sandwiches, made with thick Italian bread, delicious. The kids were given crayons and place mats to color on while the food was prepared, a nice family touch.

The Mediterranean themed murals in the other room were very nice. The whole experience was excellent.

I think “La Ferro Via” would translate exactly to “The Iron Way”, suggesting travel by rail. (Iron rails)

Thank you for your recommendation. Let’s keep exploring the delights of Ogden together.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Lancer said...

Steve, thanks for seconding my recommendation. As I mentioned in the original article, it has been a favorite of my wife and I for some time now. Glad you liked it.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any post you make on frugal cooking in the future will be well received.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home