Thursday, June 30, 2005

HOV- Highly Obscene Velocities

I took my family down to the south end of the Salt Lake Valley last night. We drove at the tail end of rush hour, so I figured it might be smart to drive in the carpool lane. This lane is officially known as the H.O.V. or High Occupancy Vehicle lane. It amazes me the obsession we as a society have with speed. The moment I entered the lane, I was tailgated repeatedly. For some reason, people think that the little diamond shapes on the road in that lane are an encouragement to max out the speedometer on your car-- with the encouragement of your 1 or more passenger required to drive in that lane. Of course the reason you need that passenger is so that you actually have witnesses that your car will still accelerate well after you've buried the needle.
I just don't get it. We are obsessed with hurrying through EVERYTHING. We hurry through meals, to work, at work, after work- we hurry through all of life. We just need to remember- we're on a one-way street.

1 Comments:

Blogger y-intercept said...

I've always thought that the carpool lane idea was a bit absurd. When I have family or other passengers in the car, I want to drive slow.

In part, I think people (myself included) misunderstand the intent of the lane. The intent of the lane is not to encourage people with passengers drive at dangerous speeds. I believe the carpool lane was designed more as a passing lane than as a travelling lane.

You only get into a passing lane when you want to pass. As such the carpool lanes really should only be occupied during rush hour, or if there was a block of traffic driving slowly in other lanes. As such, the lane probably should be empty most of the time.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home