Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Taking Ogden for Granted

A few weeks ago, I recieved a phone call. It was from a local (South Ogden) business. The business is a relatively new athletic club. Just for answering the phone, I was given an opportunity to tour their facility and receive a free two week membership at their facility. The tour was conducted by a woman who had recently come to Utah from Michigan. During the tour, she mentioned that one of the aerobic classes is held outdoors when weather permits. She pitched, "So you can have a beautiful view of the mountains." Almost apologetically, she added, "Sorry, but coming from Michigan, I really think that these mountains are spectacular- you probably are so used to seeing them, it doesn't really make a difference."
That has got me thinking since then about my attitude toward where we live. Countless times (both on blogs and off) I hear people comment on the scenic views to be had in Ogden. It is truly something that I occasionally take for granted. At the same time, it is something that I feel passionately about. This area of the Wasatch Front is without a doubt one of the most scenic. We have two beautiful canyons, two fabulous mountain peaks of prominence (Mt. Ogden and Ben Lomond) and mountains that are rocky in some spots and tree-lined in others.
Maybe its because of that passion that we can get so caught up in these "healthy" debates.
I just hope that in our zeal to see this area be the best it can be, that we don't miss the forest for the trees- or in this case, the valley for the mountains.

4 Comments:

Blogger faithanddustin said...

I agree lancer. My favorite time of the year is autumn. Here in Ogden, the fall is more beautiful than anywhere else I know of. The drive on old-Snowbasin Road is just spectacular. It is commented quite a bit how much natural beauty we have here. I too hope that we do not take that for granted.

9:32 PM  
Blogger faithanddustin said...

We have relatives in Colorado who come over here and say that the fall is not nearly as beautiful because on the dark side of the Rockies, the mountains are lined with pine trees and there really aren't that much fall colors. I personally look foreward to numerous photo essays in the fall.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Lancer said...

I can't wait to see them- Fall is my favorite season: The leaves, the crispness in the air... FOOTBALL!!

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you really feel like getting ripped off, join Crossroads fitness.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home