Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Did Ogden Make the Right Choice?

As the votes began coming in last night, I admit, I was surprised at the vote spread between candidates. I honestly felt that there would be at least one race that would be neck and neck with the possibility of needing a recount.
When I went to bed, I asked the question, "Did we (as a city) make the right choice?" Even more I asked, "Did I make the right choice?" This morning, I felt I had the answer to those questions. I have frequently stated my firm belief that most politicians are not rotten to the core. Most of them do have the best interest of their constituents in mind. During an election it is easy to pass of the "opposition" as horrible, evil, or just plain misguided. After the smoke clears, it is more easy to see this election for what it really was- eight good people honestly trying to do what they feel is right to help this city move forward. Was there anyway that this city could have truly lost? Though some might disagree, I would submit that the answer is NO. There is now in place a better way for checks and balances to occur in this city. No one vision can be accused of being "Railroaded" (pun intended) forward. This new council will give the city a chance to do what we haven't done for decades- TALK ABOUT THE ISSUES. Talk is healthy and we should take every chance to have some open and honest discussion. The only way that this could be bad is if the "rubberstamping" the current council is accused of occurs in reverse- the new council denying everything the mayor proposes just because it comes from him.
Aside from that, I return to my original question- Was the right choice made yesterday? For nearly 20% of registered voters, the answer is YES. For the remaining 4/5ths- You missed out. Don't complain as we all move ahead TOGETHER!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home