Thursday, September 29, 2005

Heroes- A Personal Note

I'm going out of town this weekend. Not for a business trip, and not exactly for a vacation (though it is a chance to "get away"). I'm heading down to St. George. This weekend is the St. George marathon and my best friend is running in it. My very best friend. My wife.
Early this year, my wife read a book titled, "Running With Angels". The book is the personal story of a Utah woman who overcame the obstacles of losing children to death and being obese to run in the Deseret News Marathon a few years back. Though not extremely overweight, my wife has tried for years to achieve and maintain her ideal weight. Somehow, this book spoke directly to her. She made the committment that she was going to train for a marathon. She began running and has since run in a 5K, a leg of the Ogden Marathon Relay, a 15K, and a half marathon. She even found a coach to help her train at no charge.
It hasn't been easy for her to get up every other morning and run for a few hours, but she's done it. This weekend, I get to witness first hand the fruits of her labors.
My wife is a hero of mine and truly an inspiration. She has chosen a task and saw it through to fruition. I would love to have even a small portion of that dedication with many of the tasks I attempt.
It's a funny thing about heroes. They are ordinary people who are able to accomplish extraordinary things. For some, a marathon might not be a big deal. For my wife and I, it is. We should be cautious about what we treat so flippantly and take for granted- For others around us, it is those very things that will vaunt them to hero status in the eyes of those close to them. And it may be those very things that make us heroes to those still trying to master them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home