Tuesday, September 27, 2005

True Torchbearers

Years ago, I heard a poem quoted. I love the poem because of the many applications it has in my life, both spiritual and temporal. It's called "The Torchbearer":
"The God of the great endeavor gave me a torch to bear.
I lifted it high above me in the dark and murky air;
And straightway with loud hosannas the crowd proclaimed its light
And followed me as I carried my torch through the dark and starless night,
Till drunk with the people's praises and mad with vanity
I forgot 'twas the torch they followed and fancy they followed me.
"Then slowly my arm grew weary upholding the shining load
And my tired feet went stumbling over the dusty road.
I fell with the torch beneath me.
In a moment the light was out.
When lo! from the throng a stripling youth sprang forth with a mighty shout,
Caught up the torch as it smoldered, and lifted it high again,
Till fanned by the wings of heaven, it fired the souls of men.
"And as I lay in the darkness the feet of the trampling crowd
Passed over and far beyond me, its paeans proclaimed around,
And I learned in the deepening twilight this glorious verity,
‘Tis the torch the people follow, whoever the bearer may be."
("The Torchbearer," unknown, from The Master of Men, comp. by Thomas Curtis Clark)

As "Ogden's Optimist", I don't wish to debate by name who is and who is not a true torchbearer. I have, however, had opportunity over the past few months to watch the exchanges take place in the "blogosphere", particularly that corner I call "BlOgden." I have observed people strong in their cause outside of cyberspace as well. As I watch, I have seen many take their own torch and have seen the crowds follow them. Some get so caught up in the glory of having a following, -or at the least have others agree with them, they lose sight of what caused them to carry the torch in the first place. Yet some are the true torchbearers- holding their ideals so that people can see the ideals. Yes, they put their names out there for people to stomp on and belittle, but they keep in mind that those who follow are following the torch- the ideal.
True torch bearers remember that even if they are trampled, the thing that matters is to keep the torch burning. True followers recognize the bearer for what he or she is- an emissary- one who's duty it is to illuminate the truth for others to see and make their own judgements.
As you prepare to go to the polls in one week, listen to your heart of hearts and learn for yourself who the true torchbearers are.

1 Comments:

Blogger RudiZink said...

You like poetry eh, Lancer?

Here's a good one.

Yeats is much wiser than Yoda, I think.

Here's a version with dumbed-down "cliffnotes,"
in the event that you can't quite figure the whole thing out.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home