Friday, November 11, 2005

The City Has Decided What I'm Doing This Weekend

What are your plans this weekend? I had some ideas earlier in the week, but two days ago that all changed. I received a nice letter from the city that clearly spelled out what I am doing- cleaning the "blight" in my yard. If you have never recieved one of these letters from the city, consider yourself lucky. Getting one of these babies in the mail is akin to jury duty notification or a greeting card from your cousin John (you know, the cousin that you only hear from when his wife has kicked him out for coming home drunk- again) telling you that he'll be dropping by for a "visit"-during the MONTH of December. Apparently the city has determined that the weeds in my yard have gotten too large for the city ordinance. My first question is "Don't these guys have something better to do?" I then thought, "Maybe they forgot what my property looked like 5 years ago when it was an empty lot owned by the city!!"
As I pondered on the possible motives for becoming the latest target of the city's beautification Gestapo, I couldn't help but think how much easier life was back when we had the spring cleanup- and I ran across the following by Adam, facilitator of the "Blogdencity" blog (www.blogdencity.com). Adam writes:

City of Trash
Fri 28 Oct 2005Posted by adam under Public Works
I have a problem. While I am fortunate and blessed to be able to manage this problem personally, I wonder how many people can’t. The problem, if you’re wondering, is one of trash and debris. Owning an older home in Ogden, I have slowly been remodeling my 1931 house. Nothing big, no major construction. Just tidying up here and there, new carpet, etc. This process generates a lot of trash.
When I bought my house, it included its own set of junk. I came to enjoy the yearly spring ritual of hauling this junk out to the curbside to be picked up by the city. I hauled not only my own debris and the junk that I bought with my house, but other people’s trash too. I hauled out old tires from the alley behind my house, and put out larger pieces of trash picked up in the vacant lot across the street.

As you likely know however, the city has decided to do away with this project in order to save money. I wonder though, while this cost cutting effort may save money in the short term, will it do so for the long term?
Driving around my neighborhood, between 28th - 36th St., around Jefferson Ave, I have noticed something. I have noticed, even after only one year of the spring cleanup project going away, that significant trash and debris buildup has begun in the many rundown and not well cared for properties. In this run down (mostly) blighted neighborhood, I see large pieces of debris tossed into the street, piled up in driveways, pushed into alleyways, thrown into back yards. It’s a noticeable difference even in one year’s time!
The city’s proposed solution is to offer a dumpster if requested by a group of neighbors. This is generally a nice jesture, but realistically, has not been utilized or effective anywhere near the level of the spring cleanup project. Seriously, how often have you had 5 neighbors together for anything? Let alone to coordinate a week when they can all jointly work on their cleanup tasks at the same time. Forget about it.
I have a truck and with a little elbow grease can take my debris and large trash to the appropriate dumping station. I wonder though, what about my neighbors? What about the old lady that lives a couple of doors down? With help, even she was able to get her spring cleanup garbage to the curbside. But now, I doubt she’ll be able manage to haul off any of her debris.
And for me, I frankly don’t want to be so generous with my cleanup efforts. I’m not going to go out of my way to pickup trash in the alley or debris in the vacant lot if I have to pay the dumping station fee to do so. I’ll haul my own trash, but that’s as far as it will likely go. That old tire that mysteriously appeared in the alley will have to just live the rest of its days there. The dresser drawer that got dropped off across the street is going to make a fine bedding place for kittens, I’m sure.
Ever think that such a small cost savings would cause such a big problem? The problem has just begun. We have taken a step backwards and will soon again be known as Utah’s City of Trash.


Then, I finally figured it out- This is an evil attempt by that evil "former" city council to take away my rights as a property holder. First this, and the next thing I know, they are going to be forcing me out of my home, with no compensation. They are going to declare my home a blight and take it over. They want to turn all of Ogden's east bench into a ski resort!! After all, isn't that what those "lame duck" council members are going to- make one last attempt to rule Ogden with an iron fist?...
Yeah, that's it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home