Thursday, August 09, 2007

Captain Chaos Gets the Girl, but at what cost?

I was embarrassed and ashamed to see the sports headline in today's Standard-Examiner, "Redskin's 'Captain Chaos' Gets the Girl" (I'd link to it, but I don't currently have a Standard-Examiner Digital account... and readers who don't have that account would be unable to get it either... Just wait a few days and you can read the whole article.) The article was about the upcoming nuptials of former Utah State TE, Chris Cooley. It romanticized the affair Cooley had with a former Redskins cheerleader, to whom he is currently engaged. The article fails to point out a glaring truth- Cooley was MARRIED when he started fooling around (though some may wish to split hairs over whether or not he was separated from his wife when he began this specific "relationship" with Christy Ogilvie, his fiancee). Cooley now has the "bad boy" reputation throughout Redskin country and, much like Rosanne and other infamous Utahns, seems to delight in thumbing his nose at "traditional family values" (or at least trying extra hard to separate himself from those values).
Don't get me wrong, I wish Cooley the best. He is the only current NFL player I have met personally. I follow his career with mixed feelings. I was, at one time, distantly related to him through marriage. The point I am making with this is that the fairytale, "All-American love story" (his father's words) is not as pure and innocent as the article makes it sound. I wish the "happy couple" success in their marriage and in life. I just wish that Captain Chaos, the man who is a Superhero on the field, had a more human qualities that were worthy of admiration.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Six months?

You're a moron.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home