Wednesday, September 20, 2006

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

About a year ago, I wrote an essay about the four letter word- HATE. Since then, I have given some thought to a virtue that, in many aspects, is the antithesis of hate- RESPECT. My career path has me working frequently with youth, particularly teenagers and I have noticed how many teenagers are more and more lacking in this vital of virtues. As I have gone into area schools, and attitude prevails which warps general respect for another into fear. Many teens don't feel "respected" unless someone fears them or permits them to do whatever they please. Of course, they haven't learned this trait by themselves. We adults are the perfect role models for lack of genuine respect. Think about it. How many of us criticize another's driving while our children take careful note of the action? Or how often do we get impatient or upset over matters that are in actuality trivial inconvienences?
One general show of disrespect that I have noticed recently is the removal of titles from people who deserve it. I frequently hear those who dislike the actions of our nation's president, our state's governor, or our city's mayor refer to these men as "Bush", "Huntsman", or "Godfrey". What I find more detestable than the disdain in their voices is the way that earned titles of respect have been summarily dismissed. I know that on a national level, many may argue that "Bush stole the election(s) and therefore doesn't deserve the title." On a local level some may say, "Godfrey is a (fill in the blank) and therefore doesn't deserve respect." But why should it end there? Our children have seen it. Many no longer call their teachers with the proper Miss, Mrs. or Mr. title, rather just their last name.
This led me to the question. Isn't that the behavior of a drill seargent or sports coach who addresses subordinates by last name only? Not that I am not proud of my last name, but I have earned my titles (few they may be) and it is a way to show that I am respected when people call me Mister or Sir. Heck, I'll even throw in the title of "Brother" used at church. It is not difficult to start small and begin anew to refer to people by their titles, even if it is nothing more than a simple Miss or Mister. Perhaps a return to these displays of respect will not only set an example of general respect to the next generation, but will show them that even in the heated battles of policies and politics, chivalry is not only alive, but the candor of true character.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Cheshire, I feel your pain.

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See if you can spot Lancer and his wife at this link...... www.ogden.cc/MD8
Way to be part of the Good In Ogden :)

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home